How to reverse sear a steak - Demo dish from British White Tasting (recipe)
We don't a single better way to cook a steak perfectly than with the reverse-sear method. This method has you searing the steak on the barbeque at the end of the cooking process rather than the start.
One you've mastered the basic steps you'll never overcook a steak again.
Serves 2 to share
Rib Eye Steak
1 x 700g - 850g Rib Eye on the bone (preferably left to dry undercovered in fridge for 24hours)
100ml vegetable oil
4 sprigs of thyme
Fine sea salt & pepper
Goose Fat Potatoes
500g kipfler potatoes
250g goose fat
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leafs
1 teaspoon sea salt
Dress Radicchio (seasonal leaves)
1 small radicchio
50ml sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
200ml Olive oil
Pinch of salt & Pepper
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more
1 bunch coriander
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
1/2 bunch oregano
1 fresh jalapeno finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or finely chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil
- Place kipfler potatoes in pot with salt, bay leaf, garlic and cover with cold water. Place on high heat and once boiled reduce to a rolling simmer. Cook till very tender but still holding shape.
- Once potatoes have cooked, strain and place on plate to cool in fridge. Once cool, "cut" the potatoes using a fork. (This will create rough edges to get crispy) into a large pieces. Set aside until later.
- Preheat oven to 180c fan forced. Season rib eye with salt and place on wire rack in a baking tray. Put steak in oven and cook until internal temperature in approx. 45c. (approx 25 - 30mins)
- Whilst the steak is cooking. Prepare your salad dressing and chimichurri
- Place sherry vinegar, honey, salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk together. Begin to slowly stream in 200ml of olive oil, whisking quickly to emulsify. Once incorporated set aside.
- For chimmichurri place shallot, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and chilli into a bowly and allow to sit for 20mins. Finely chop all herbs and add into vinegar mixture, then whisk in olive oil. Check season and adjust if needed.
- Once steak is reached desired internal temperature remove from oven and increase temp to 200c. After taking the steak out of the oven you should leave it to rest for about 15minutes.
- In a cast iron pan place 250g goose fat and allow to heat, once hot add kipfler potatoes and allow to colour for a couple of minutes. Once they start to crisp place in oven for 15mins, checking and turning every couple of minutes.
- Place heavy base cast iron plan on high temperature and allow to get smoking hot. Once hot carefully add vegetable oil. Now take steak and place in pan, then add butter. Carefully colour steak on all sides, making sure to get a dark even colour on all sides but not to leave in the pan for more than a few minutes. Take out and place on rack to rest.
- To Serve: Wash a few leaves of radicchio and lightly dress them in a bowl with the sherry vinaigrette, salt and pepper. Once steak has rested for approx. 15minutes, carve off the bone and then slice into 1/2cm slices. Place steak on large plate and dress with chimichurri. Place dressed radicchio and kipflers into serving plates on the side.