Pork skewers are exactly what’s required to welcome this spring weather! Packed with flavour and super simple to prepare, this recipe can be cooked on the barbie or even on a cast iron pan on the stovetop. Utilising delicious McIvor Farm pork fillets, these skewers remain juicy and tender, served in a quick and easy flatbread. Drizzle with a zingy yoghurt herb dressing and we reckon we’ve found you a new spring dinner favourite!
Marinade for Pork
½ bunch fresh coriander, rinsed, roughly chopped
1 green chilli
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
800g pork fillet
1 ½ C plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
125ml ice water
½ C greek or natural yoghurt
¼ red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
Handful pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
1 tsp pickle juice
- Start by making the marinade for the pork. In a food processor, blend the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut the pork fillet in half lengthways, then cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Coat the pork evenly in the marinade and then thread them onto metal skewers. Let them sit for half an hour while you get everything else prepared.
- Then start on the flatbread. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the ice water and oil into the flour mixture and combine. It should be soft but not sticky. Place cloth on top of bowl and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Next, make the yoghurt dressing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To make the flatbread, divide the dough in half and then halve again so that you have 4 even sized balls.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out into discs until around half a centimetre thick.
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium heat and spray with olive oil. Place the dough onto the pan and turn once it has nicely coloured. Continue cooking and let them rest in a clean tea towel, while you cook the skewers.
- In the same cast iron pan, add in some olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the skewers. Cook in batches to avoid crowding the pan.
- Cook for around 10 minutes, turning on all sides to ensure an even cook.
- To assemble, place the pork on top of flat bread and dress with the yoghurt sauce. Add in your favourite slaw too for some freshness and crunch.