Tiff from Free to Feed has shared his Pickle Salad recipe. It serves as a refreshing side for many classic Malaysian dishes and keeps in the fridge for up to a month.
- 500ml Water
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 500ml Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Star Anise
- 1/2 Long Red Chilli, finely sliced with seeds removed
- 420g Daikon, julienned
- 200g Carrots, julienned
- 1/2 Pineapple, peeled, quartered with core removed, cut into small pieces
- Dry toast the star anise and cinnamon in a small pan until fragrant, then remove from heat.
- Place water into a small saucepan, add rice vinegar, sugar, star anise and cinnamon. Stir to dissolve and bring to a boil and then turn off immediately.
- Put daikon, carrot, pineapple and a handful of chilli in to a bowl.
- Pour over the pickling liquid and let it marinate in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving or better still, let it sit overnight.
- It can keep in the fridge for up to a month.