From the pantry or Hagen's veggie box:
4-10 bird’s eye chillies, coarsely chopped|
Good pinch of salt
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp of rice, dry toasted & ground
4 tbsp fish sauce
Large pinch of white sugar
1 lime, cut in to wedges
1/2 cup stock or water
3 large handfuls of holy basil leaves
Optional chillies in fish sauce:
¼ cup fish sauce
10-15 bird’s eye chillies, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 tbsp lime juice
Pinch of chopped coriander
1. Coarsely chop the garlic with the chillies and salt. Dry toast the rice in a dry frying pan until golden. Grind in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and fry your eggs one at a time. Spoon the hot oil over the egg and cook until the edges are crispy but the yolk is still runny. Transfer you egg to some absorbent towel and keep warm.
3. Add the remaining vegetable oil to the pan and when hot, fry the garlic, chilli and salt until fragrant but not coloured. Add the chicken mince and stir to combine. Fry until just cooked and starting to brown. Add the fish sauce and sugar and taste for seasoning. It should be spicy, salty (but not too salty), and a little sweet.
4. Add the water or stock and stir. Now go in with the holy basil and toasted rice and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and add a squeeze of lime.
5. Serve with jasmine chicken rice, the perfectly fried egg and top with chillies in fish sauce.