Brisket with Bourbon Honey Glaze
- 1.5 – 2kg beef brisket
- 120ml (1/2 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 120ml (1/2 cup) bourbon
- 750ml water
- 1 TBS whole black peppercorns
- 250g (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- handful thyme
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 small red onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 TBS Crushed garlic
- 30g Sweet smoked paprika
- 1 TBS Tomato paste
- 75g brown sugar
- 175g honey
- 60ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon if you prefer more mild heat)
- 30ml bourbon
- Pre-heat oven to 160℃ fan forced or 180℃ conventional
- If your beef has been in the fridge, place it on a plate on the bench to get it to room temperature while you prepare ingredients.
- Lay the beef fat side down in a large roasting pan. Add vinegar, bourbon, water, peppercorns, sugar, chillies, thyme, bay leaves, onion and garlic to the pan.
- Wrap tightly with foil and cook for 4 hours.
- While meat is cooking prepare glaze. Add all ingredients (except bourbon) into a small pot. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add bourbon, stir until incorporated. Leave to cool completely.
- Remove brisket from oven and take it out of the roasting liquid (discard liquid) and rest under foil for 15 minutes.
- Preheat BBQ to a medium heat.
- Place meat on the grill to char (5 minutes), repeat on the other side. Remove from heat, brush with bourbon honey glaze and serve.