Slow Cooked Brisket Taco - Demo dish at British White Tasting (Recipe)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 onion powder
2 tablespoons celery seeds
1/2 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup smoked paprika
4 tablespoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of beer
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
500g of tomatillos fresh or canned
1 medium to large white onion cut into chunks
1-2 jalapeño chillies seeds removed
1-2 Garlic cloves grated
1 bunch coriander
1 large lime
2 teaspoons salt
1 bunch spring onions, cut down to approx. 10cm long
1 pack of small good quality flour tortilla
Small amount of coriander leave for garnish
- Combine all ingredients for rub and blend well.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the mustard slather and set aside.
- Cover brisket in slather and allow to sit for 24hours. Then coat brisket in dry rub and allow to sit for another 1hour.
- Smoke at 120c until the internal temperature is 90c. (approx 12 hours). Alternatively slow cook on a wire rack cover in a oven at 140c for 10 hours.
- In a food processor add white onion, Jalapenos and garlic. Pulse until finely chopped. Add tomatillos, coriander, juice of lime and salt. Blend till smooth salsa forms.
- To serve: Blanch spring onions and place on grill until nicely colour and soft. Lightly toast tortillas. Slice/tear brisket into large pieces. Place decent amount of brisket in tortilla, top with grilled spring onion and finish with generous spoon of salsa verde and coriander leaves.