This mothers day we're pulling out a classic recipe to make for Hagen's matrirch.
We've created a pack to get you started with all the things you need to make this delicious family pie.
1.5kg Organic Chuck beef, cut into 4cm pieces.
6 Hagen's Bacon rashes, rind removed and diced
1 White onion, diced
35g Plain flour
1tbsp Tomato paste
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
125ml Lighter style red wine (pinot noir)
500ml House-Made chicken stock
500ml House-Made beef stock
200ml Boiling water
5 Rosemary sprigs
200g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
Short Crust Pastry
2 cups Plain flour
1/2 cup Chilled water
1. Heat half the olive oil in a casserole pan over medium heat, add onion and stir until tender (15-20min). Remove from pan and set aside
2. Heat remaining oil in casserole to medium-high and brown beef in batches (4-5mins), then set aside. Add flour to the pan and stir until toasted (1-2mins), then add tomato paste and stir to combine. Return onion to pan on medium heat with beef and garlic, then deglaze with wine. Add stocks, water and rosemary sprigs, bring to the boil, season to taste, then cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered with lid until tender enough to cut easily, but not falling apart (2 hours). Remove beef, discard rosemary sprigs, then reduce liquid over medium heat until thickened (45 - 60 mins). Meanwhile, cut beef into 1cm pieces or shred.
3. Cook bacon and mushrooms in large non-stick frying pan over medium heat until golden (10 - 15mins). Stir into beef mixture and set aside to cool.
4. For short crust pastry, process flour, butter and 1tsp salt in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add egg yolk then 50-100ml water and process until dough just comes together. Adjust water amount until shaggy dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured bench, work and shape into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until rested (1 hour).
5. Preheat oven to 200c. Fill pie dish with the filling (until just below then rim). Roll out pastry and place over the pie dish. Cut away excess pastry and brush with an egg wash. Place in the oven for 30minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve!
Happy Mothers Day Mum
Love Oliver & Ruby
Serves 4 | 45 Minutes
We are thrilled to be partnering with Chef Reuben Davis to bring you a 2 recipe series this Summer. Reuben has worked alongside some of the most celebrated and accoladed chefs in the world. From working in Michelin star restaurants, to creating food for his family and friends - his passion for food shines through his creations.
Chef Reuben's Grass Fed T-bone Steak recipe with an Anchovy Salsa Verde, finished with 'THE BEST' tomato salad is perfect for when want to impress your guests this summer but you don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. Using our organic beef from right here in Victoria, and fresh vegetables from our online market store. Take our word for it, this recipe is a crowd favourite!
Steak 1x 750 gram T-Bone
For the Salsa Verde
1 banana shallot
50 gram pickled jalapenos
50 grams capers in brine drained
1 tin Ortiz anchovy
2 cloves garlic
120 ml red wine vinegar
½ bunch parsley flat leaf
½ bunch of coriander
½ bunch mint
220 ml olive oil
Flake salt pinch
For the tomato salad
8 X Good quality Ripe truss/Roma tomatoes
1 banana shallot
200 ml x Extra virgin olive oil
100 ml x Red wine vinegar
½ bunch green basil
½ bunch thyme
50 gram Capers